Apparently this is how reporting works in big corporate environments.
- We have a bunch of data, terabytes. There’s got to be something in there.
- After a few months of cranking, the analyst comes up with a one page report with significant statistics and a couple of charts. This is the first, alpha version of the report.
- Manager receives report. Loves it, since it’s the first time they can see the deficiencies in the overall system, and sees opportunities for savings, optimization, improvement.
- Manger passes it along to another set of managers, maybe by region, for constructive feedback.
- A few weeks later, all feedback is taken in, and the analyst implements all of the new requirements into the new, 40 page report.
- Report is sent out quarterly, where it sits on top of a pile labeled TO READ.