Design Tweaks

Today I made a few design tweaks to this blog. The goal is to move a bit away from the stock default octopress theme - but my design chops aren’t all that great and I can’t really budget the time to do a design from scratch.

A few simple changes and I’m OK with how it looks for now:

  1. I created the basic font logo that you now see on the header. This was the idea from the beginning, but I never had a chance to include it here. Commit: 27d0107f.

  2. Change the typography in the site, as the original seems a bit heavy for my taste. I started out by using a Helvetica Neue on headers, but decided to go with Antic from the Google web font service. Commits: 2dd8f46b4 and 84bad437.

  3. I wanted something different for that dark background. Went hunting for tiles and patterns. There’s good stuff out there, but I settled for the dark wood background found here. Commit: 9593a00431. At this point, it also made sense to make the header and footer have a light background and dark font.

  4. Finally, added a gradient to the header. Commit fe918b0e

I’m fine with the result for now, but will probably revisit soon. Here’s a before and after.

Before

Before

After

After